100 years ago – Feb. 7, 1924
January Report of School Nurse
During January Mrs. Alice Howard paid 34 visits to 14 schools in this section, according to her monthly report as Healdsburg Red Cross nurse. She inspected 253 children during the month, recommending 62 teeth corrections and ordering exclusion of children for the following causes; Pink eye, 10; chicken pox, 7; pediculosis, impetigo, scarlet fever, 1 each.
Fourteen children were taken to the doctor and 7 were reported to the health officer, while 44 office dressings were applied. One case was reported to the county probation officer and one needy family was provided with food by the Red Cross through the efforts of Mrs. Howard.
75 years ago – Feb. 4, 1949
Petitions Seek Annexation of Lands into City Limits
Five “ayes” by City Councilmen completed the first step in the inclusion of two tracts of land into the city limits of Healdsburg. One tract of land lies on the south side of Powell Avenue and the other lies at the eastern extremity of Reed Court. The documents presented to the council represent only a notice of intention to circulate a petition seeking admission of the described land into the city limits, with the final petitions to be circulated after the preliminary intention is published.
The land bordering the south side of Powell Avenue includes the Pordon tract, the E. W. Jenkins land and an area owned by Mrs. Nina Rose. Amedio Pordon’s acreage has been sub-divided and up to this time nine houses have been built. The Reed Court property includes land formerly owned by Peter Reed and land now owned by J. H. Mallon. The former Reed land has since been subdivided. If 50 percent of the landowners for either petition object the annexation cannot proceed. This represents the first large scale annexation movement for residential use in many years, one councilman claimed.
50 years ago – Feb. 7, 1974
Silver Anniversary Fair
A condensed daylight schedule for the silver anniversary Healdsburg Future Farmers Country Fair was established Monday night by the board of directors because of the unknown availability of lighting at Recreation Park on the May 23-25 fair dates.
To forestall roving blackouts, the City Council approved a staff plan Monday night to bring a 15% electricity cut for all its customers. The fair board estimates the lights will be needed for no more than 3 1/2 hours during the three-day run of the fair under the adopted schedule.
As usual, the twilight parade beginning at 6 pm on May 23 will kick off the fair for the 25th time. The 4-H fashion show and parade awards will be at the fairgrounds following the parade, and the park will be closed by 10:30 pm. All breeding and market cattle, sheep and hogs will be judged and showmanship competition will be held during daylight hours May 24.
On the final evening of the fair the awards ceremony will begin at 5 pm and the climaxing junior livestock auction is set for 6 pm, one hour earlier than usual. The board has set a three hour time budget for the sale, which ran more than four hours last year with a record number of animals sold for the highest prices ever.
Research and materials provided by the Healdsburg Museum and Historical Society. The Museum, located at 221 Matheson St., is open 11am to 4pm, Thursdays through Sundays.